Thursday, March 6, 2014


March 6, 2014

Rehearsal better last night for me. I approach each character as thoughtfully as I can, reasoning out motivations, milking each line for meaning and nuance. This is not appropriate for Shaw, at least not for a character who isn’t the designated Shavian spokesman. The director said “you must be more like a cartoon,” which is all I needed. I hope I was more of a cartoon. He made some joke when I left that I thought radiated approval.

Wild romp with my students through the whole of Minoan, Mycanaean, Cycladic culture so that we might give one session to the Odyssey today. Snow blanked out China altogether. This is the program people wish to dilute with special topics and imposed “themes.”  I should have been scrappier throughout my career. It’s invigorating.

No comments: