Sunday, March 16, 2014


March 16, 2014

Nailed up the bluebird house, keep looking out the window in case they come in one day.

Painted some in the morning. A frustrated swipe across the paint gave me the key to finishing the painting the way it needed to be. Off to Reems Creek Nursery then. I was looking for a laburnum, but they have to special order that. I bought a sweet bay tree and a Stewartia pseudocamillia and planted them in the back. Digging for the Stewartia revealed an old brick fire pit, with several layers of black ash. I took the chance that the tree would like that. The clerk at the nursery said, “I remember you from last year. You look like you’ve lost a lot of weight. Are you feeling OK?”

“I’m feeling fine.”

“OK, so long as your health is OK.

Of course, I felt weak and peaked all day after that, looking into windows to see if I looked drawn.

Nap, during which I dreamed vividly (as I often do) of matriculating at a new university. I had auditioned my way into an elite musical ensemble, singing a new and tasking piece, but I couldn’t figure out when the rehearsal was. I’d go to the rehearsal hall, but nobody was there. Also, I had trouble with my eyes, and sometimes I could read the score, and sometimes I could not. I made a friend who wanted to ride bikes. He also was in the ensemble, so I thought if I stuck with him, all would be well. We rode our bikes for miles and miles across round pastel hills.

No comments: