Thursday, August 25, 2022

Immensity

 

August 23, 2022

Night of amazing dreams.

My anniversary. 56 years ago tonight I wrote my first poem.

Tea with CB at Dobra on Haywood Road. I remembered him as a delightful student, and he is if anything more delightful now, merry and engaged and fully himself. He asked me about my faith, a question which I almost never answer directly, but I answered him. The subject came up because a friend had brought a telescope and showed him Jupiter and his moons, and the Immensity fell upon him. “I laughed for, like, five minutes, and then I cried for twenty. I couldn’t even explain what was wrong.” Jupiter and his moons are the cure for all fear and pettiness. My raccoon carrying off her babies is the cure for all fear and pettiness. 

First rehearsal (this time around) with Asheville Symphony Chorus: “ A Night at the Opera.” Catching up with many people I could just as well have not caught up with. I like the music.  K’s ease as a director makes you overlook how adept he is. 


No comments: