Sunday, April 27, 2008

April 26, 2008

Fended off phlebitis, which left me without the deep affliction, but feeling tired and achy for two days. Events did not stop, so I had to catch the gigantic and necessary naps wherever I could.

Kam was glorious–or at least by far the least inglorious–at the end-of-semester alumni presentation in Humanities 414. Her work is always better than I think it’s going to be when she tells me about it. Memorable line: "Given six months to live, I chose college."

Owen and Michael had me over to their house for afternoon conversation. I admire the purity of their desire for discourse, debate, for contact with the things of the mind. They had even prepared a picnic, which was a carton of dip and some vegetables set on a trunk in the living room. What do they say to each other after I have pontificated for an afternoon? What did they say in the car as Michael drove Owen to work?

Ill, I skipped a theater piece I meant to see for Stephanie’s sake at the Arts Center, but made it to the segment of the Asheville Word Fest which was dedicated to remembrance of the Green Door. It was a joyful occasion, and for once the poems were almost all good, and I was sitting with my student Zack who had come out of pure curiosity, and I was happy. Among the deceased who were remembered were Pat Storm and Katherine Graham, whom I still think of. The accolade after my performance reminded me of the Slam scene long ago, and made me, almost, turn back in that direction. The number of ponds into which I dipped my toe without really taking a swim amazes me sometimes. But I have been testing myself against the same deep sea always, and there was never time for anything, seriously, else. Glenis and Allan and Laura H-G presided with elegance and aplomb. A multitude of judgments and opinions keep me from enjoyment, sometimes, but they did not last night, and though I’d not had a drop to drink, I don’t remember coming home.

Unless you count the Dead Poets Slams, I slammed exactly twice at the Green Door, appearing only on championship nights to grab a place on the team from people who had been working at it all year. Now that I think on it, it was great courtesy for them even to include me. One can be such an ass.

The first pale golden peony is in bloom.

No comments: