Saturday, April 19, 2008

April 16, 2008

Sidney reports that Edward the King rehearsals don’t start until April 29th. I draw in my breath and force myself to think, "Well, they must know what they’re doing . . . "

Early evening, and already it has been a glorious day. The freeze promised for last night came to nothing, and my garden stands in dazzling, not to say belligerent, splendor. Weeded, dug. Second kick-ass workout at the Y this week. I feel sensational. Bought goldfish for the water gardens. Placed rocks as shelters for said goldfish. Reading Edith Wharton– having forgotten over many years, now, the pleasure of just sitting down and reading a novel. Sat in the sun reading, while a large beetle made an extraordinary din bulldozing around in dry leaves. I think it may be time to send the novels I’ve written seriously out into the world to make their way.

"In a Summer of Almost Too Much Light" won second prize in the South Carolina Review’s 40th Anniversary contest. In one second I gloat over the publication and in another I sneer, "second prize?"

No comments: