Monday, April 21, 2008

April 20, 2008

After I watered everything yesterday, down came the rains and watered to a fare-thee-well. A bit more of my ceiling crumbled, so that drama was not ended by handsome Sam on the roof, as I thought it might be.

Went in the evening to the play Kimberly Akimbo at 35 Below. It was an excellent script excellently performed. A new actor named Nathan, one of Chris Lynn’s students, was especially fine, daring and fearless and goofily natural. I laughed constantly, and none of the laughs were those cheaply bought kind you regret afterward, as though someone had asked you to pull his finger, and you did. The room was deservedly full. Afterwards I hiked down to No Shame at NC Stage (slamming down a rum and coke at Smokey’s on the way) where all was as it should be, rowdy and funny and rough. Some of it is not rough at all. A blond boy whose name I forget does these innocent/violent monologues which are little short of genius.

Brian Charles Rooney e-mails from New York that he has been cut from the cast of Edward the King. I read the message repeatedly to see if it was a hoax. My mind immediately went back to Night, Sleep in Cincinnati, which flopped (if it flopped; I was never certain) because they couldn’t decide until the last second who was directing. I have no way to affect any outcome at the moment, and nobody but BCR has even mentioned it to me. I forget whose aphorism it is, but I now repeat, "I’ve never regretted what I didn’t say." So, for the moment, I sit tight and wait.

No comments: