Monday, April 14, 2008

April 13, 2008

Sitting at my keyboard, I heard the first bird singing in the darkness before morning.

In prayer in church this morning I heard myself praying not to be such an asshole all the time. It was a spontaneous, righteous and necessary prayer, though I’ve probably compromised it by congratulating myself on it.

Evening. We got out of the car after Cantaria rehearsal, and I stopped us dead, for something was singing Ki! Ki! in the sweet gum tree. We stood still long enough for a peregrine falcon to sail out of the branches, heading west, his wings stretched at his side like swords. When I caught my breath and stepped into the living room, a hummingbird was at my feeder. Blessed all around.

Linda says my dad’s lunch buddy Joe died. That’s cold and strange to me, even though I spoke to him only one time. I doubt very much that he regretted closing that door behind. Do I want to be 93? Ever?

BE is coming over in a few minutes. Whatever I planned for the night will be saved for another time.

No comments: