Tuesday, November 2, 2021

 

October 31, 2021

Halloween. 

Choir Camp weekend. When I got to the turn off from 40, a blazing rainbow stood over Canton, and remained a good twenty minutes, pure and dazzling. Of course I made a wrong turn, which got me into Cruso, where I was able to see the devastation wrought by recent floods. The beds of the Pigeon River in all its branches was scoured white, the great boulders strewn about. Houses and sheds lay stacked by the roadside, now but piles of splinters. Among those splinters, a great number of TRUMP signs. This should be some kind of lesson, but I doubt that it is. With a brimming bowl of blasphemies I got back on track, made it to choir camp. I hate Lake Logan without being able to say why. Maybe the sunken town cries out to me. I note the curious lack of wildlife around there– the lake should teem with fowl but does not. Something’s amiss. Nice chat in the next cabin over after Saturday rehearsal. In the middle of Sunday rehearsal my cup ran over and I left before mass, returning here to find that my WiFi is out and even an hour on the phone with the helpful Indian lady did not get me back on track. Technician comes on Tuesday, so she says. A dead bear lay beside the roadside near Canton. I allowed myself to think that it was either a bear or a gorilla. A hill slopes up from the dining hall at Lake Logan to the practice area, and when I had to walk that hill going at the pace of others (and not my ambling self) I was breathless and unwell. This bodes badly for Israel, where we will be doing much walking and I can’t expect everyone to keep my pace. Don’t know what to do. I am trying not to think of this as, all in all, a wretched weekend. Feel shaky now, as though I’d run a long way. 


No comments: