Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Cancellation

 

November 22, 2021

Cold day. What winter will be. 

The most interesting item is that the State Department has raised the threat level in Israel to 4 after intensifying Hamas attacks on the Old City, and Bishop Jose has cancelled our trip. I’m still looking at the email with stupefaction. So much of my energy in recent weeks has been directed to this, remembering fondly my first journey there, getting the right COVID documentation, printing out directions to Charlotte Douglas, buying needful items, preparing myself psychologically. I admit that anxiety prompted me to wish, on several occasions, for exactly this outcome, though I expected COVID to be my savior rather than bombardment. The last emotion before the email was elation and excitement, so I am devastated. I may be relieved as the hours go by, though that time is not yet reached. The projects I thought would end temporarily Thursday night stretch again into the future.


No comments: