Monday, August 2, 2021

Wedding

 

July 31, 2021

Gray, steaming day, clouds low, heat high. Spent two days in Dahlonega at D and M’s wedding.  I think that part of the world sent Marjorie Taylor Greene to Washington. Wedding-wise, everything went excellently well. L and J rented a huge house and nearly 40 people picnicked at a “rehearsal dinner” (I don’t know whether there actually was a rehearsal) Thursday night. I reached my communications capacity fairly early, and had to sit out on the third terrace in the dark to recharge my social battery. Even then, M’s grandmother was telling me how she was driven to the Hyannis compound on a regular basis to do Ethel Kennedy’s hair. All the toast speeches at the reception were clever and kind and not cringe-inducing. D and D’s friends are a loyal and affectionate band of young men who remain close these many years after college, and seem to have integrated their women friends into the clan on an equal and hearty basis. It was lovely to watch them dance once all the uncles and grandparents had left the room. North Georgia is a scaled-down version of Western NC, the mountains smaller, the valleys narrower, the rivers rocky, thin. and scrappy. We hiked around a reservoir teeming with enormous turtles. 

M's other grandfather asked if I were retired. I said yes. He said, "You look like you were a banker."

His mother calls Daniel “Senator Daniel.” His appearance, his affect, what he reveals and what he conceals, all seem to make that kind of destiny inevitable. 

Received a royalty check from Red Hen. Gratifying! I suspected none had sold that I hadn’t bought myself. . . .


No comments: