Friday, August 29, 2014


August 29, 2014

Blessed the drop of rain that fell last night. The garden had at least a sip.

Begin a fast this morning.

The mowers knock the air conditioning unit awry. I haven’t used it all summer, so my distress is cosmetic.

Considered– wish I hadn’t– that in the negotiations for 62, after all the reductions and postponements corner-cutting and forgiveness and concessions and eight months of lost income, the ONLY advantage I was going to get was to have it over and done with, and that is the precise and single thing which has not happened. Minute sleeplessness over that.

Yesterday a day of learning from my students. I was wrong about Nietzsche. I hadn’t told myself the whole story about Donne. You go into teaching not to teach, but to learn. Today is my day off, but I sub in Gary’s class, on Plath, which I agreed to do because I felt I have been, generally, so much less collegial than my colleagues.

No comments: