Saturday, May 25, 2013



May 25, 2013

Watched the streaming table-read of 16th and Curtis on Willinet.org. It was fun to watch, and not at all cringe-inducing. My body language is foreign to me, when I see it like that. It is far less fidgety and extravagant than I feared. I do have an enormous head. Luckily it’s almost too late for vanity.

Din in the holly is a family of baby purple finches being fed by dad, outside the nest, a sort of picnic.

Second attack on the Phil Mechanic garden. Planted yellow canna, pink hydrangea, a yellow daisy I forget the name of.

Douglas hugged me last night and said, “Oh, you smell good!” Not the reaction you expect from a straight man.

Pope Francis is a Universalist. Best religious news in the West in my time.

Went to the Cathedral to hear The Madison Singers from James Madison University. Perfection. They sang Penderecki’s harrowing “Agnus Dei” right before Palestrina’s “Sicut Cervus,” one so agonized, one so transcendently sure and filled with light, perfect contrasts, the extremes of one spiritual impulse. When I returned, the moon was rising over Merrimon Avenue in the twelve pure splendors, stupendous and silent and sublime. Nothing stood in heaven beside it, the dark not yet dark enough for stars.

No comments: