Friday, January 1, 2010

December 31, 2009

Tavern on the Green is closing without my ever having eaten there.

Night. The blue moon is sometimes obscured, sometimes dazzling in a scallop of cloud. Just returned from Waynesville, where I attended the HART New Years party, a crowded, jostling, happy, warm affair. Steve had prepared video montages of the year’s productions, very entertaining and professional. I see now better how he has been able to succeed in what would have thought an unpromising situation. He has made of everyone a family, concerned about every aspect and character of every production. I was in Proof and Hamlet, each time playing, curiously, the dead father. When my image came on screen I heard a murmur around me, “Ah, David,” with a tone of familiarity and affection I did not expect and am not used to. Now I have to cobble together some sort of costume and hit the second party of the night. I think I would rather sit here and watch the moon traverse my windows, east to west through the long last night.

No comments: