Saturday, June 1, 2024

 May 31, 2024

The news when I came to the hotel last night was that Trump is convicted on all counts. Being without honor and without shame, he’ll not slink away as a real man would at this point. A bitter and ragged victory is still a victory. Listened to his reaction. There’s no need for him ever to speak again, just play a recording of his unvarying litany of imaginary grievance. Everything he says is a lie. Things that start out true are lies by the time they finish coming out of his mouth

Dead pigeon on the roof of the snack bar under my balcony.

Took a taxi to the Lough, walked back almost the farthest way I could. The taxi driver wanted to know if a man could be a convict and still be President. As far as I know, yes. Many of the waterfowl were accompanied by balls of fluffy chicks. A pair of coots emerged from the island with their very fluffy but quite big baby, clearing the water for a wide swath in front of them, driving ducks and geese away, even menacing birds that were already out of the water. Papa whirled and had me in his sights. I wondered if he were going to try to scare me away. He stopped dead in the water, weighing his chances. I finally satisfied honor by moving off to an acceptable distance. Sighted my necessary heron. Hiking back to town I visited a little gallery above an off-license shop. The paintings were terrible, the effort gallant. Bought coffee from a couple who had toured the USA as part of a car delivery service. Visited Fort Elizabeth, the existence of which had been unknown to me before. The voluble Maltese at the gate was so pleased I had visited and loved Malta. We spent more time talking about Medina than the fort around us. If any monument in Ireland in the last 600 years is free from the taint of British savagery, I haven’t heard of it. The walls of Cork are alive with cranny flowers and ferns. The long walk home was less long than I anticipated; I’m beginning to navigate Cork with confidence. 

In many ways, the perfect day, nowhere particular to go, plenty of time to get there. I sat in the sun on a bench at the fort, doing nothing. The sun was hot but the air was cool, so the balance was perfection. I wondered how long I could just sit. Turns out, a considerably long time. 

Two herons flap around the pilings under the quay across the river from my balcony. Blessed. 

No comments: