Wednesday, July 20, 2022

 July 20, 2022

Coming off a considerable storm, lightning starting off to the west and eventually zapping right over my roof. 

The jolly boys from the Exterminators came to day, led by a very tall lad with a shovel beard, looking like a Central Casting Amishman. He said “Are you the one with the green thumb?” We looked at the black and the yellow callas– which he had never seen– before they began. Now, after 98 years, my basement windows are sealed from the inside (though not from the outside, that being the next story) and a dehumidifier humming away in the dark, and all the cellar floors and walls covered in plastic. A little creepy, I thought, but apparently the way things are done. The tall man assured me the dehumidifier would take care of the mildew issue, and probably my incessant coughing at well. I’m ready for anything. Tomorrow comes an estimate from the first of those who will cement in the windows and vents from the outside, so implacable raccoons can’t and easily distracted bears won’t be digging their way in again. The workers reported deep claw marks on the foundation. Given time, the basement would have been a den. 

So, in the space of a year, a new furnace, a new toilet, a new hot water heater, fixed roof, eliminated varmint climbing tree, remodeled and sealed basement.

Royalty statement from Akron U Press, which I won’t be able to bring myself to look at. . . though the resale of the book approaches $1000, for reasons I don’t understand. 

Praying to Themis that Bannon goes to jail. 

No comments: