Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Pentecost

 

May 23, 2021

The Lord’s fiery Pentecost. Went to the 9 AM service outside, where it was sweet & lovely with the twittering of chimney swifts overhead. 

Our painful Holy Conversation was the talk of the congregation. All other sessions went off without a hitch. I have been warned against Ms C by seven or eight different people. Do toxic people know they are toxic, or do they believe themselves to be standing up for some principle? 

Y’s reading group did a Zoom critique of Ben and Angela, which was mostly highly complimentary. J, who hated Antigonus so much, hated this much less, but still managed to maintain the tone of a lecture. I’d love to read one of his plays. The moderator lady observed that the play would take excellent actors to perform. She thought this was a detriment, that community theaters would steer clear of it because the two actors had to be good, and wouldn’t I rather it be in some way more egalitarian? Every community theater in America does Virginia Woolf and that’s meant to be an actors’ tour de force. My answer was “I write things that I could perform myself.” In retrospect, that must have sounded a little immodest. 


No comments: