Tuesday, May 25, 2021

 


May 24, 2021

One perfect day follows another. 

Found unused packets of Mexican sunflower seeds in the back of the car, so got out the spade, dug up a weeded-over portion of the back garden, and planted them. 

Essayed the Safechurch program that anyone in leadership at All Souls is meant to take. I withered when told it was going to take six hours. It took me less than five, and, against expectations, was a genuine learning experience. I would NOT until now have recognized dangerous behaviors. Some of it rubs me the wrong way– making a workplace comfortable for some people seems to mean making it stifling and unfair to others–but also helps me to recognize the source of complaints made against me in the ever-receding past. I would never on my own have recognized a joke or a wisecrack as harassment. I do not debate that it is, only that I would never myself have thought of it that way. Confusion over loyalties is laid aside by the injunction “your duty is to think of the victim.” I’m grateful for the way that cuts through complicated allegiances. There was also a quite realistic section on how to avoid false accusations, admitting, basically, that you can’t. Document, document, document. 


No comments: