Sunday, November 4, 2018


November 3, 2018

What must be remembered before all is the canary yellow iris now blooming in the back yard. Is it an autumn bloomer, or one bewildered by the weather? In any case, it makes the world go around it like the axle of a wheel. It gleams out there long after the rest is dark.

The flu shot that couldn’t give me the flu has in fact given me the flu.

Staggered out last night. The streets were full because Bob Dylan was at the Civic Center. Driving up the ramp of the parking garage, the van in front of me hit the wall, stopped, tried again, continued hitting it until it had torn its front bumper loose. It drove away in front of me dragging the bumper. Stopped at the Yacht Club. Everything there was festive, happy, Dionysian, and I reminded myself for the hundredth time that I must go out more. Went on to the BeBe for the opening night of the opening production of SS’s new theater. We’d read the play in class, and it is always interesting to see how a production unfolds differently from one’s initial imagining. The staging was right–even the roughness of opening night contributed to the basement-in-Berlin ambiance.When people sang it was at its best. I did enjoy the night. My student Elliott attended with his stunningly beautiful Asian partner. What a couple they made!


No comments: