Tuesday, November 20, 2018


November 20, 2018

Four bears, one big and three adolescent, tumbling through garbage cans on Graceland as I drove home from choir. They were cute, but I might not have thought so had I been a pedestrian. Some crisis approaches with the bears, and I will be sad when it happens.

Unexpected ally in my sadly renewed fight with the harpy from my former class, Jill, the Title IX director, who is on my side. It is just for her to be so, but I didn’t expect it, and so I revise my attitude. I can understand being vilified for a stand one actually has taken, but to be vilified for statements never made, for attitudes and convictions antithetical to those one actually possesses is strange indeed. All could have been avoided through inquiry and patient dialog, but something in the present atmosphere makes it seem better to explode in instant indignation– whether righteous or absurd doesn’t seem to matter. To be indignant is itself righteous. Reason and Truth have a hard time maneuvering around Indignation. Had to block my first friend on Facebook, who based an extended tirade against me on a misreading of a sentence. Suggesting she go back and understand the sentence didn’t help, somehow. Some of us do not have time for this. Some of us have work to do. On a note: I realize that the woman who was running up to my house at night and beating on the window is the same one who cannot give up her baseless hatred of me. Hope her wasted time never comes back to her. But, I myself have hated with a pure white flame. I believed my hatred based on fact, but perhaps it didn’t look that way from all sides. So, I am not going to pretend to too much innocence. 

No comments: