Tuesday, January 9, 2018

January 8, 2018

Yesterday a spectacular blot. There was a great pause in the action at morning service because whoever was meant to read the New Testament lesson wasn’t there. I read in my email this morning that it as me. My AOL apparently delayed the message.  Almost ludicrous waves of muscle cramps, in the legs, hands, chest. Even gulping down liquids didn’t seem to help, until the middle of the night. One cramp in my left leg started an edema leak that lasted the evening, me with a towel wrapped around my wet foot. Went to a production meeting at the Magnetic. The cold was so great that my muscles tensed and I had to stomp around the room fighting a vast cramp in my thigh. What must they have thought?  Leaving, the cold clenched the muscles in my chest and it felt that I was having a heart attack on the drive home, though I wasn’t. Outside, a building in the Arts District was mightily aflame. The Internet says it was the house behind the Grey Eagle. For a moment I thought it was the Phil Mechanic.  So tired and lightheaded I can’t imagine dragging the frames up to my studio and doing the framing I absolutely must do today if I am to be ready for the show.

Interesting discussion at the production meeting. What the designer plans is in direct contradiction to the mood of the play, as expressed In the play. I decided to say nothing, in the name of artistic autonomy, and because it might eventually turn out to be lovely. The original plans were big and elaborate and left no room for the actors actually to act. Then the discussion was how to fit the play to the needs of the design. I should have stayed home. I’d be sure it would all come out well if the past proved that. What the past proves is that success can come even when the design remains problematic. 

No comments: