Thursday, July 2, 2015


July 1, 2015

Reading an old biography of Tennyson by his son Hallam. Fascinating. AT was apparently a big, shapely, handsome man, popular with everyone, and smarter than I am in the habit of crediting him to be. As a member of the Apostles he seems to have initiated discussion on whether the brain of man is descended from the brains of more primitive creatures– way before Darwin, though it must have been in the air. His position was argued down because annelids and molluscs and the like (so the argument went) have no brains for anything to be descended from. When science contradicts science, some science must be wrong.
   
Discussion with Brian the mortgage guy last night went well, and I behaved, and I gather that everything which needs to be done is done.  He sounded happy. It must have been a payday for him. Plus, I did not, this time, bite his head off.
   
Reading in GQ about style and the men who have it. Realized that if I were required to dress in or even to describe my own “style” in manner of dress, I would have no idea what to say.

No comments: