Thursday, April 10, 2014


April 10, 2014

My students hated the Monday lecture with rare vehemence. “Just shooting facts and quotes at us,” they said. I had rather liked the facts and quotes, and told the lecturer so, but the students found it aggressive and missed any sense of analysis.

Each time we come to Persia in Humanities class I am reminded of what good sense Zoroastrianism makes. The balance of the majestic and the hideous is so close in the world that dualism seems more and more plausible. If God is God He is not good. If God is good He is not God. Religion was dropped out of the lecture, I suppose because it demanded analysis rather than the barrage of facts.

The next four days are hell. No, not hell, merely busier than I like. If I am to choose between the Light and the Darkness all the time, I must straighten out my terminology.

Weary of the cold. Weary of not feeling quite well for days on end, but not nearly sick enough to cancel anything.

Funny sound of cat paws on the wooden stairs.

No comments: