Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Beach


April 1, 2024

Woke to the chuckling of my turkey hen, stretching out her neck, as though calling to the rest of her flock. She gave up and ran around the perimeter of the garden until she found a way out. 

Folly Beach, ninth floor of The Tides hotel. Buddy’s and my drive here was long but uneventful. Stopped dead four time in I-26, and jammed up in a long line trying to get onto Folly, but still adding only forty minutes to my ETA. My assumption that the week after Easter would be sparse on the beach proved inaccurate. The little town is packed, mostly with young people– me a tottering von Aschenbach with a whole range of Tadzius to choose from. Dropped an unopened bottle of vodka first thing. The maid who came to clean it up did a hilarious and accurate pantomime of how I must have looked when a full bottle of liquor broke on the floor. Coming home after supper and first stroll to the end of the pier, I had to vidit Buddy in the parking lot, to assure him I was nearby and all was well. The dominant group on the beach now is the laughing gull. I hadn’t remembered seeing so many of them (or any of them) here before. 

 

No comments: