Sunday, January 21, 2024

 

January 19, 2024

Awakened in the night by banging. Got up and looked, saw nobody in the darkness. It happened again; I looked again. When I was up and ready to go out, I heard it again. The cover of the outdoor circuit board had blown loose and was banging the side of the house. So much for ghosts and intruders.

Breakfast with L at the Corner Kitchen. Caught up on parts of our several year separation. L wanted to know about my spiritual life. I think he wanted to reconcile what he knows of me with what the world knows of the crooked witness of conservative Christianity. The omelet was outstanding. As I drove home, a wall of snow came out of the north, and continues, though occasionally lessened, to this hour. Most of the time, wind drove the snow lines exactly parallel to the ground. Left the house and traveled several times during the day, just to show that I could. Bought a new mailbox, the Ace Hardware lady having convinced me that even I could install one. 

Email from an agent whose opening lines showed in the lead in as “A strong and unique project, and beautifully written.” I knew of a certainty the next, hidden word would be “but.” And so it was. Better than War & Peace and the bible put together, but I’m just not the exact right person to represent it. . . .

I can see the tips of the bamboo through the study window, whipped from side to side by the wind, paled and obscured by the snow. 

Lord, give me what You have made me want


No comments: