Tuesday, January 3, 2023

2023

 


January 1, 2023

Fog reduced the numbers at my party last night, but the numbers probably needed to be reduced. It was the best of my New Years parties, I think, one during which I was anxious or exercised not even for a second. Nice to have it back after two years of pandemic cancellation. Managed to enjoy. S and D made their first appearance, as did the H brothers. I produced pumpkin soup and sauerkraut & sausage, both in unnecessarily massive quantities. 

Lesson: People can be very particular about their cocktails, and it’s better to leave the instruments there for them to make their own. 

Behind, a year of changes to my house: new toilet (replacing one that was possessed) new furnace which had to be repaired twice, huge damage to both roof and basement because of the inroads of creatures, drama of addressing that damage, which might not be over quite yet. Appearance of The Ones with Difficult Names. Vestry chooses a new Dean. I return to painting. My task now is to finish off the jug of eggnog DJ left in the fridge. My task is to allow this quiet Sunday to ease me into a vibrant year. 

Viennese waltzes on the airwaves. It’s hard to imagine an idiom related to Classical music more quickly cloying. 


No comments: