Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Persimmons

 September 19, 2022

The perfection of yesterday was such that I determined to do some gardening, and at that was moderately successful. Got ½ a plot dug for $200 worth of new daylilies. Continued the long war against the grapevines and honeysuckle, which had colonized the tops of my hollies without my noticing. Discovered a bumper crop of persimmons. Ate one warmed by the sun, and it was indescribably delicious, the best of all fruits, even with the astringent wave that comes after the last taste. 

Z is giving up his practice, at least temporarily. I’ve been with him, what? Twelve years? Fifteen years? It’s like getting fired. 

SN sends me delphinium seeds. 

Watched bits of the Queen’s funeral. The uninterrupted yakkety-yak of the news commentators was at odds with the dignity of the proceedings. 

I’m told to leave the persimmons be until they fall to the ground. 

No comments: