Friday, September 2, 2022

 

August 30, 2022

Maud vomited and I didn’t see it, so I slipped and careered into the guest bedroom closet and onto the floor. The doors of the closet are bashed off their runners. It was the sort of fall that defines old age, but when I managed to get up I realized nothing was broken, nothing even hurt that much, except the closet. I’m a good faller, typically landing completely flat. Off to a gathering in honor of my birthday at Rye Knot. One must plan events carefully to avoid the expanding clutch of rehearsals. Good time, maybe the best of those kinds of times. Late in the evening something screamed in the back garden. Either it was the most irate raccoon that ever was in the world, or some night bird I couldn’t identify. Turning on the lights showed me night and vacancy, so a mystery remains. Someone sent me gorgeous green coasters. With whom was I discussing coasters? 

Revision notes: the elimination of my apparently relentless helping verbs, changing “was going” to “went”; “began seeing” to “saw.” Finding alternatives to “was” and “were”: “He was afraid that” to “he feared.” 

Session of vine-pulling to get the clematis, however lovely, off the trees.


No comments: