Friday, October 30, 2020

Hurricane

 


October 29, 2020

Flood this morning, though the afternoon is hot and dazzling. Deep water under the railroad bridge in the River District, almost didn’t get through. The barriers came up almost behind me. The Swannanoa was level with the road in most places, over it in others. Swannanoa River Road was blocked, and I had to flee uphill into Kenilworth. Drove to the Crafts Center on the parkway, but the Parkway too was closed, so I hiked in the rain and the half rain and then in the clear air. Fields of amaranth beside the pavement. In my garden a single nasturtium fights into the final light. Marked the day because it was the first time I met (and exceeded) my step count since Folley Beach, and the first time I did so without cheating.

No comments: