Saturday, January 11, 2020


January 10, 2020

Surprised at having joy in singing old Disney standards at AGMC last night. The music is nothing, but the memories are sweet. Downtown is still lit up for Christmas. I’m grateful for that.

Circe has energy enough to climb the steps and join me in the study, flopping herself heavily into the trash bin, where I suppose she feels protected.

From Billy Carestio, a student from long ago:
I hope this finds you well and you're not to a taken back by this out of nowhere information.I former student of yours Greg Brown, a poet and a person with whom I discussed your poetry and the poetry of others, passed away at the age of 43 due to complications of Renal Cancer. Greg Brown was a kind, gentle soul and he and I worked together after UNCA on the Children's Psychiatric Unit of mission hospital. We would work long overnight hours and talk poetry and share. He was amazing with kids suffering and those that has been exposed to trauma, he definitely influenced my pathway into Mental Health nursing. He was very much inspired by you. Thought you should know. 
B

Met Vance–who says I helped her with her senior project, but I don’t remember– at High 5 to talk about a career as a writer. Was amazed that I had so much to say. Was amazed that she seemed to think it was helpful.  Vance is a psychologist helping people at the Vanderbilt Apartments with end-of-life issues, mostly dementia. She is careful to say “a victim of suicide” instead of “committed suicide.” We agree it should be our own choice when enough is enough. Enjoyed her company.

No comments: