Wednesday, August 12, 2015


August 12, 2015

Mendelssohn on Pandora

I am genetically predisposed to dread things such as the Literature Department retreat yesterday, but it turned out to be lighthearted and productive, and set me on a much better path for the semester than I had anticipated. For one thing, we changed our name, and for the first time in 32 years I am a Professor of English. Revolutionary ideas for the creative writing program. I feel professionally renewed, and lounged around the last lingering gold evening in a state of euphoria which could not wholly be attributed to material things. Rose today and ran two miles at the Y, studied lines, went to the High Five and wrote my daily poem. Ready, then, for the day, for the week. About to check my mail to see what I’ve forgotten or neglected, noting it’s yet early enough to save the day.

My crape myrtles bloom purple and magenta at 62. My only jealousy.

No comments: