Saturday, January 3, 2009

Savannah 3

December 31, 2008

Full day yesterday, so much so that when I rose this morning I did not take a constitutional, but barely dragged myself to the computer.

Bus tour with the Oglethorpe people, opinionated, amusing, informative. They reminded us 35 times that we were paying $10 and people on the other busses had paid $23. Miss Joan, our guide, began with, “Since you paid for the cheap tour, I’m going to show you cheap sights. Now, to your left is a dumpster. Right beyond that, a ditch.” Miss Joan vilified Yankees and especially General Sherman with understandable bitterness. I know now almost as much about Savannah as I care to at the moment. It is a compact and enjoyable town. Had forgotten the wonderful truth that at first lawyers were forbidden in the Georgia colony.

Walked much and ate little, which suits me, since I caught sight of myself in the store windows, where I thought that belly attached to me must belong to somebody else.

Jepson Center for the arts, with beautiful glass, striking portraits, a striking atrium, and landscapes by a disciple of Romare Bearden that look like me preparing my canvas.

Deep into my customary mode of thinking I should find clubs to join and favorite places to inhabit, and that everyone we meet–such as the tattooed barista at the Ambrosia CafĂ©-- is going to be a lifelong friend. DJ and Steve are excellent traveling companions, though it is possible that, if asked, they would tell a different story about me. I am too energetic too early in the morning. Evidently.

Jack and Leland arrived after horrendous delays on 95. We took them to the Pirate House (which turns out to inhabit the oldest building in Georgia) where I finally acquired my hideous pirate skull.

What shall I say to the universe at the passing of the year?

Please, if you can, release the stranglehold you have on my life.

Take care of my father wherever he has gone. I believe he is a child again, and begins this time with health and love. But, of course, I do not know.

Keep me from being the man I fear to be. Lead me to be the man I have not even imagined. What is here is not enough.

No comments: