Thursday, January 8, 2009

January 7, 2009

Went to a Doctor Glasser in East Asheville about my lymphadema. My skepticism is deep and long standing on this issue, assuming that no one can help and those who say they can are after money, but he did make them feel better, even look better, and when I checked his suggestions, they were medically acceptable and backed up by at least as much testimony as appears on the Internet. It pleases me, actually, to be taking colloidal silver, as though I were after a slow cure for lycanthropy. A hundred bucks at the health food store gets me most of the drugs and apparatus he suggested. I remember, though, why I shy away from doctors of all sorts: the complicated self-obsession, the bottles and liquids and timetables, the time-consuming and mind-distracting regimens that compromise life on one side while (allegedly) prolonging it on the other. I would be taking 20 pills a day and spending two hours douching and mummifying my legs if I were to follow the doctor’s exact regimen. A middle path must be found.

No comments: