Monday, January 19, 2009

January 19, 2009

Our poet laureate cancels her appearance at the Inaugural Poets. I want to fire back, “You’re not that sick, be there!” but such things are not done, or done less often than they should be.

Some reaction to my poem on the radio this morning. Ken Youngblood hears it and asks to publish it in the Hendersonville paper. Turns out he’s actually paying to have it done–

Jason says that my water jar is frozen solid in our be-wintered studio.

Blocking for Titus begins, with J unable to say a line without directing everybody. It’s not that he’s wrong (except for the bit about directing other actors, which is always taboo) but that in wanting it set first time through he’s subverting a process which might reveal something better than the obvious. Though there is competence, there is nothing of discovery in J’s approach. Jason plans to block three scenes; we get through one.

Re-wrote The Handsomest Man in the World.

Gentlest snow.

1 comment:

Kathryn Stripling Byer said...

Hi David, I'm sorry I couldn't come to the gathering but I fear that, even if you had shouted at me to Be There, it wouldn't have helped, especially since our driveway was ice. My husband could have bundled me up and into the car and tried to skid down a hill not even the UPS man likes to navigate in good weather, but he didn't want to risk it.
I am, actually, now writing an interweaving Inauguration poem with my friend Penelope Scambly Schott. Listening to Obama on Tuesday cracked the dikes for me, and despite the disappointing poem read after it, I've been able to write about this powerful event.