Thursday, September 19, 2024

Lake Logan

 September 15, 2024

Time away at Lake Logan at this year’s choir retreat. I miss these often enough that people affect surprise at seeing me there, but in fact I loathe it and attending is a sacrifice I think, every time it happens, as extravagant. It’s actually the location at fault, a thesis I prove by observing that there is no wildlife at Lake Logan, not a bear, not a deer, no frogs in the lake (though some in the lily pond), not a rabbit, not a squirrel, and among birds only an evil troop of crows. Accursed ground. When I drove into my own drive I had to brake for a rabbit and stop short of my parking space to avoid inconveniencing my turkey flock. It’s also a fact that I have never arrive there without making a wrong turn. This time I had to ask for direction at the Farmers’ Market in the HART parking lot. Good talk at night with new friends, while I was slamming down vodka to insure unconsciousness as complete and long as possible. 

Serious meltdown on the drive home, continuing when I stopped to buy food at the Fresh Market. Weeping, sadness. Maybe just the exhaustion of a trying weekend. I feel none of that now.

Having promised to do so, auditioned for All Is Calm. C was on crutches but otherwise looking great. He saw A God in the Waters at BeBe, which makes me feel excellent. They didn’t have me sing, so either I’m a sure thing or so off the mark there was no need to bother. M, the managing director, said I was a great teacher and my class was the one everyone tried to get into. So let it have been. I was downtown less than an hour, so parking was free, the one bit of good luck the entire weekend. 


No comments: