Tuesday, May 16, 2023

 

May 15, 2023

Something almost unprecedented happened this morning: I didn’t wake till past 11 AM. Probably exhaustion after the Mother’s Day concert at First Baptist last night. We had a large crowd, most of whom were hearing that music for the first time. Theater companies and choirs wish their audiences were a little less elderly. How did we do? I went errorless, though also hoarse and weak-voiced from too much singing and too much pollen. I think we did well. I do not have the most discerning ear. K is pissed at me for something, but, searching my conscience, I can’t determine what. He could barely stand to shake my hand. It’s a Southern tradition never to tell the person who’s offended you the offence, so that it may rankle and spread. We’re both Midwesterners, so perhaps that won’t happen, or perhaps I’m imagining everything. 

Cramps in the night after standing so long for the concert. I used to leap up and try to curse and hobble the cramp into submission. Now I lie there, try to find a better position, pray until it goes away. It does. 

SB has died.

No comments: