Friday, June 17, 2022

 

June 16, 2022


Lunch with B. He described having lost the County Commissioner race, which he took with better grace than I would. The lunch was to convince me to run for office. I tried to convey the fact that that was the single oddest notion on Planet Earth. B is an alert and active heterosexual. I realized during conversation that when men go on about their desire for women I vaguely imagine that they’re exaggerating, or working to live up to a cultural norm.

Good AVLGMC rehearsal last night, anticipating a sweaty dress at Montford tonight. Enjoyed the rehearsal because DB was on the other side of the room giving pitches from the piano rather than sputtering and exploding beside me. On Merrimon, where it becomes Biltmore, I was going through a green light when a line of 8 or 10 skateboarders made a left turn in front of me. At first I wasn’t going to stop, but the front rider engaged me with his eyes, making clear he wasn’t going to stop either. That was not my night for taking out a line of skateboarders. I said to my invisible passenger, “That was thrilling.”

Zoom with the cast and director of Before the Holy Temple in Madison. Interesting questions. Their love of the play was gratifying. 

Gave Iris the day off, as I have no air conditioning on day 4 of wet scalding heat. Three or four days a year I have to haul out the fans, which suffices me because I don’t do much but drag from one to another. Cleaning house would be another matter.

No comments: