Sunday, May 1, 2022

May Day

 

May 1, 2022

Murky, clement May Day. This has been the worst day for the gout. I sat in church and heard my thoughts say of the pain, “I can’t stand it.” The Imp that listens to everything in the world replied “Oh? What are you going to do about it? You will stand it. You shall stand it.”  Even if I’d decided at that instant to end my life, I had no means of doing so, and would have to endure the pain every second while I sought one. It is better now, I having learned for the 5th or 6th time that plain aspirin is more effective than the prescribed pill. I looked up prednisone on line and one of the interesting side-effects was “inappropriate happiness.” 

Up in my study I can hear the neighborhood quite well, and often think something is happening in my yard that is actually a considerable distance away. I also, after recent events, suppose that random sounds are a bear trying to break in. 

No comments: