Tuesday, October 12, 2021

 

October 11, 2021

Fell out of bed last night. Lying on the floor I thought “What an odd thing to do!” Thee times in my life I remember falling out of bed.

Dream that T and L visited me, and I was showing them my far-flung house (not this one at all), worrying that they’d have to leave before they saw everything.  A mountain stood far in the distance, flat and shapely, like the Devil’s Tower, but far larger. That was Ireland. 

People speak to me at church as they didn’t before, maybe because of my making the announcements at the beginning of service. I don’t know anybody behind their masks. 

Working hard to get The Ones with Difficult Names ready for publication. The instructions from the publisher are at once quite precise and distressingly vague. 

Morning spent in heroic gardening, re-digging the central back garden to replant and restore. I have a pile of iris and canna bulbs for replanting. Decided to dig out the big tree wisteria, which has prospered without much blooming, and become little more than a gigantic weed. The roots are long, insidious, and a little sickening, like flabby red limbs. Tugged out two long bamboo runners that led from the bamboo stand right into the garden, eight feet or more each pulled with some satisfaction out of the ground, like thread through cake. Disposal will be interesting this winter, given a couple of stands of nine foot tall cosmos that cannot be uprooted but must be dug (I tried), and two patches of Mexican sunflowers the heft of small trees. Tony, from Mexico, did not recognize the Mexican sunflowers. Unexpectedly large Mexicans came for my pond pump, so maybe that chore will at last be done. 

No comments: