Tuesday, September 22, 2020

 


September 21, 2020

Disturbed by a sound in the night until I realized it was the furnace turning itself on after a sweet summer. Love the sound, hate the prospect of the coming cold.

Odd financial disharmony to the events of the day: the lady at the river office said they had not received my rent check from me for September. I wrote it and mailed it, but something happened in between. So, I drove to the complex, wrote a new check, sat by the river a while watching the water flow and talking to two people from Louisville– both of whom, so they said, had survived Covid. Was able to steer them to all the landmarks they wanted to see, most of which were off the River Road within a couple of miles. Got home from that adventure, checked the mailbox, and the mail I had left there this morning (all bills being paid) had not been collected. Instead, each envelope was cut open and the checks removed. Total: somewhat over $3000. Frantic calls to two banks. Unless the thieves were very fast, I think I’m OK. But they do have my account numbers. I thought it odd that they should leave the envelopes, which would alert me immediately to what had been done. Maybe it wasn’t simple theft.

Got my flu shot.

Agreed to meet Denny and Kit in Ohio on October 26.

No comments: