Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Folly Beach

 

September 6, 2020

                The ride to Folly Beach was hedged about with traditions of people who’ve come before, where to stock up on liquor, where to have late lunch, all that. We passed by Charleston, which I longed for. I arrived in a bad mood, having convinced myself that the WiFi wouldn’t work or some unlikely thing, and made for the beach as soon as we settled in.  The beach was lovely with revelers, and far more integrated, black and white, than I remember any public beach being. I waded into the tepid Atlantic, and in one second felt anxiety draining from me into the bronze-colored waters. Lovely altogether! I was the only one to go to beach. Returned, sat on the dark balcony with the group talking about what we talk about. Slept like a child, woke to dreams in which I was berating my former colleagues for teaching badly.

No comments: