Monday, April 20, 2020


April 19, 2020

Faure on You Tube.

Though at waking I thought I was stuck, I spent practically the whole day writing. Now I am stuck again, though a little further along. I’m not sure I have so much as stepped out of the house today. I opened the door, put my shoes on, but it was cold.

Jared writes on his Dinesen paper:

Dr. Hopes,

I so appreciated your kind words on my last paper. Encouragement from a literary-minded titan like you is SO much appreciated, you have no idea, seriously, thank you.  Attached is my Dinesen paper which was a blast to write, as it distracted me from the uncertainty of these strange times. She was a brilliant woman. I wish we could discuss these writings in class, but as Jim Morrison would croon, these are "strange days" indeed. I hope you enjoy my paper and are thriving creatively in quarantine. I am applying to grad school asap, and am currently finishing my writing sample. If you would be willing to read over it to make sure it isn't total garbage that would be great haha. If you're too busy I also understand. Thank you for always being an encouraging mentor and constantly reinforcing the importance and perennial beauty in literature.
You are appreciated, and your retirement is deserved, while also being a loss to the students of UNCA.

Thank you for being yourself in a world of drones, much appreciated,

To have been myself in a world of drones is an honor I had not thought of for myself. So much the better.

No comments: