Friday, August 30, 2019


August 30, 2019

Perfect azure day. Beyond perfection. Wrote at the café, then went to Reems Creek to research my mystery tree. While there I bought from their ½ price heap a draggly red rose, a maple leaf hydrangea, and a native bush honeysuckle with lovely yellow-green blossoms. Planted them. Rejoiced that my yards of sunflower and zinnia have caused flocks of goldfinches to descend upon my garden. DJ took me to see Godzilla, King of the Monsters for my birthday. It was wonderful. Even I have had my fill of monsters for a while.

A man carried his less-than-two-year old son on his shoulders into the café. They were so beautiful together, reveling in each other’s company. Dad bought a raisin-y scone, and when he set it before the baby, he screamed with the most spontaneous and borderless joy. I watched the man feed the boy as long as they sat there. Then the man carried the boy home, again on his shoulders. I watched them the whole time, filled with such praise, such longing to be able to give a blessing, such grief.

No comments: