Friday, July 5, 2019


July 5, 2019

Goldfinches have been feeding from my great steeples of mullein. Saw a pair of pileated woodpeckers fly into the hedge across the street. I’ve left a dead maple to tempt them here. The thrashers play on the lawn, lunging at each other, then at invisible things which I assume are insects. Myriads of some sort of beetle (or bee-- I have not gone out to look) hover inches over the grass. That may explain the recent multitude of birds.

Went downtown today to have a look. Went into the galleries that were open.  Acquired nothing but a glass of iced tea. The Jeremiahs are correct that the pressure of tourists has changed downtown, and not for the better. Came home exhausted, feeling that I had been to a smallish and not very interesting American town.

Progress on Jason early in the morning.

No comments: