Friday, July 12, 2019


July 10, 2019

Wonderful dinner with Casey, a wonderful young man. He and Adam make me marvel at the energy young actors put into their careers without much security at the end of it. All the professional theaters I know of regionally hire New York actors when (often) just as good dwell here. I think specifically of MB, who could have done a better job of Nellie Forbush in South Pacific than the girl they brought (I suppose at great expense) from New York. Asheville’s bench is not deep, and often one sees the same barely adequate players again and again, but on the front bench are some who could play anything, and should have the chance. Many who would deepen that bench are driven away by the lack of opportunity. What an odd art theater is! When I was working with Ann and her dancers I realized that 13 year old dancers have more specific technique than graduate acting students. Too much technique leads to formality and rigidity, I suppose, but where’s the sweet spot in between? There’s so much theater here that people without much dedication or skill can be cast constantly. The gulf between them and those WITH dedication and skill is often the most notable quality of a production. None of these things can be said, especially by an “insider,” or a playwright who needs the goodwill of all, good and less good, to do his work. I suppose I sigh over the truth that theater, in the provinces anyway, must resign itself to being a volunteer, amateur art, and those volunteers may rightfully balk when too much is expected from them.  Casey and I talked of SW. C honors him, so I kept to myself my conviction that S willed himself, repeatedly, into obscurity and mediocrity. I offered alliance several times. Each time he scurried away with excuses that still seem ludicrous or, more forgivingly, fearful. Is it a Southern thing or an academic thing, or what kind of thing is it to misunderstand enormously, absurdly, and yet never dare to ask a single question to clear things up? Every time I have been in trouble with my community here, it involved a misunderstanding that could be cleared up in five minutes. No, I am not equally at fault. When I sense a misunderstanding, I inquire. This inquiry is, however, often characterized as “aggression” and talked about behind my back. I’ve lived here 36 years and have not yet mastered the art of indirection.

No comments: