Friday, April 20, 2018


April 20, 2018

Cool morning. Have not yet started my day. Rehearsal was interesting last night. I resigned from the small ensemble, partially because of precarious energy, partially because B still refuses to speak to me, and as we’re side by side in the same section, it’s simply not workable. What a monstrous baby he is. I refrained from beginning one short solo which I knew was mine, knowing that he would move right in and take it, and be chastized. “That’s David’s solo,” Simone said. It gave me stupid satisfaction.

After a flurry of emails, I am assured that the most offensive part of the commission-- “Lonely Tenor”-- will not be sung, and the ludicrous spoken word part has been deleted. Victory incomplete but decisive. It’s still possible that indignation will be so great on the other side that the piece will be withdrawn, or W and B may resign. Then, nothing but trumpets. But for now, enough. Sadness comes off my heart like a winter blanket.

No comments: