Monday, August 5, 2013


August 5, 2013

Bad day yesterday in the mind, but rather productive in things you do to get out of the mind. Attacked the thicket between my house and Carolyn’s (with her fervent encouragement) now that the biggest lumber has been cut out. Labors there include the added necessity of cleaning out clutter and garbage (including, oddly, a number of potatoes) which somehow got flung there. I guess she’s just a farm girl living on a city lot.  Kelly wondered if another sweet gum limb had fallen, but I told her it was the arborists, and she looked wistfully up into the loftiest branches which still slightly over hang her yard and said, “What about those?” I did not reply what was in my heart, which was , “I hope I’m long gone dead before anything happens there.”

Pulled out a two-bucket harvest of tomatoes, which neither squirrels not rot had gotten.

But the best thing was getting back in touch with Jason. I cruised him on Facebook, and he accepted the cruise. I remember back in the day thinking about our friendship, how easy it was, how sustaining. how it accepted every new level one of us took it to. He was in a friend-lopping phase then, and I kept wondering if I would get lopped one day. I don’t think that’s exactly what happened– thank God neither of us said “What the hell happened?”–but I missed him, and thought I’d take a chance. He has a full-time teaching job at Lees McCrae in Banner Elk for next semester. His little boy is named Casper.

No comments: