Monday, November 24, 2008

November 23, 2008

The do last night was a party to celebrate a wedding that had already happened, not the wedding itself, a fact I would have known, someone observed tartly, if I actually read my emails rather than scanning the captions. The Arts Center is a much better functions room than it is a theater, and looks rather lovely by candlelight. Most everybody seemed connected to the theater, and when one was asked “what are you doing now,” one knew it meant “what play are you doing now?” I was doing none at all, and so came off as a kind of eccentric. Ben looked boyish and happy, an excellent host. I wanted to cuddle him, but he was so busy and so married. People streamed in late from performances, and begged off social engagements because of rehearsals. I remember making the conscious decision not to be immersed in that life, no matter how often I might dip in my toe.

No comments: