Friday, May 17, 2024

Second Thoughts

 

May 15, 2024

Having time to think of the review (the only one the production is likely to get) I feel differently. W says at the beginning:  If there were ever a show designed to make me self-conscious about writing a review, A God in the Waters would be it. That being flatly untrue, either in intention or result, I had to consider what was going on. As I did, a scene from Shakespeare in Love popped into my head, wherein actors, asked what Romeo and Juliet is about, answer from the perspective of their characters; “Well there was this Apothecary. . . “ I think the play is about the power of the imagination to reconfigure everyday chaos into the order of artistic creation. I am an artist. Why wouldn’t I think that? I believe SS said he was attracted to the part of Peter because he found himself at the stage of life and career represented by him. The Bs assumed it was about the career of musicians, they being musicians. Our reviewer thinks it’s about criticism because he’s a critic. In some ways what irked me at first turns out to be a towering compliment: that the play may be a mirror in which everyone may see himself. I hope so. I’ll go with that. 


No comments: