Friday, May 10, 2024

Dress

 

May 9, 2024

Tlaloc has been gracious to me, bringing rain after every planting day, though he rather over did it last night with a storm (oddly, from the east) of frightening proportions. It seemed artificial, in a way, the thunder queer-sounding and too close, the rain like a river bashing against the streetlight, which gives me my perspective on such things. It commenced on the stroke of midnight. 

Prior to that I had gone downtown for the dress rehearsal of A God in the Waters. One technical glitch followed another, but one is not too upset over that, the adage being a bad dress means a sensational opening night. Everyone had done their work, and it was a plausible evening of theater even so ragged. Gaps while lines were pulled out of the air. It’s a very wordy play. I do wish A wouldn’t scream “Fuck!” every time she loses a line. But, I was pleased. The essential work was there.

Finishing one of my most complicated paintings. Something was wrong with it, and after a stared at it a while, I realized that painting over one little detail, hardly an inch square, would correct it. Used to one word changing a paragraph; true for the eye as well. 

Some acoustical anomaly makes the repairs going on at Carolyn’s house seem like they’re in my back yard. I keep getting up to see who’s hammering. 


No comments: