Thursday, June 29, 2023

 


June 29, 2023

Sultry summer heat, spiced by burning Canadian forests. 

Went to write by the river, which I did with some success. The day’s theme was evidently women and their big dogs. The German shepherd was completely uncontrolled, and pulled his mistress off her seat and under the table every time another dog walked by. He fought viciously with two white Labs for five seconds, and then they were all best friends and went swimming in the river. The heads of the dogs in the water were huge and startling until one figured out what they were. At one point I was smitten with urgent intestinal issues in the worst conceivable place. With so many women about, I knew the restroom would be occupied, but I rushed there anyway. It was occupied. Drove around to my own office (where there is a restroom) and of course the parking lot was sealed off by a gigantic truck making a delivery. Parked illegally and made it to succor just in time. It would be funny in a movie. You foresee that one day time will run out and you will soil yourself in public. 

With time yet to waste to avoid the cleaning lady, drove to Habitat for Humanity, where I was tempted by not one thing. Did have a nice chat with R, who revealed that she’s recovering from a stroke. “I’m just glad not to be in bed drooling,” she said. As are we all. 

No comments: